National days aim to bring together citizens from all around the world to celebrate memories and accomplishments that belong to their shared history. Every country has its own unique set of national days, commemorating everything from the birth of national heroes to more whimsical events like National Bubble Gum Day.
National days can be celebrated either annually or bi-annually and are typically celebrated on either a national or global level. However, nations may also choose to recognize local days that commemorate saints and other important figures in their particular region. Each country usually has an official holiday calendar that lists public holidays, national holidays, and lesser-known national days. Depending on how a country’s calendar is organized, certain national days may be celebrated on the same date each year or on varying dates depending on what day of the week it falls on.
As much as we love celebrating the big holidays, sometimes it’s the small, silly ones that are the most fun. From French Fry Day to Banana Split Day, there are plenty of food-related holidays to celebrate throughout the year. And what could be more fun than celebrating your best friend on Girlfriends Day?
For those who love to dance, there are plenty of opportunities to get out and celebrate on National Dance Day or Zipline Days. And of course, there are the ever-popular national days like National Donut Day and National days dedicated to all things chocolate.
So mark your calendars and get ready to celebrate with Marlo and Latoya! Here are 10 national days you won’t want to miss this year.
1. International Women’s Day (March 8th): This day is intended to recognize women’s achievements, rights, and their continued fight for gender equality.
2. Earth Day (April 22nd): Celebrate the planet’s beauty and pay homage to environmental protection efforts!
3. National Ice Cream Day (July 19th): The perfect day for a cone of soft serve or a scoop of gelato.
4. Girlfriends Day (August 1st): Celebrate your best gals with a fun girls’ night out — and of course, wine.
5. National Dance Day (September 19th): Break out your best moves and celebrate with dance partners the world over.
6. International Coffee Day (October 1st): Grab an extra-tall cup of your favorite brew and give thanks to all the baristas out there.
7. National Taco Day (October 4th): Get creative and experiment with some new taco fillings or try a few new recipes.
8. National Cheese Lover’s Day (November 4th): From Gouda to Cheddar, there’s something cheesy and delicious to celebrate.
9. National Donut Day (November 5th): Make this one extra sweet with your favorite donut-inspired desserts.
10. National Chocolate Day (December 28th): Time to indulge in all things chocolate — hot cocoa, truffles, cake, and so much more.
There are plenty of ways to get involved and make the most out of the fun, national days that are celebrated each year. Many people participate by attending events and parades dedicated to the holiday or donning festive costumes and decorations in honor of the occasion. Some folks even create crafty DIY decorations that reflect their country’s unique heritage. However, not everyone can attend official events or festivals dedicated to these national days, so there are still lots of ways to celebrate from the comfort of your home. Have a dance party with your family, host a potluck dinner with friends, or relax with a movie marathon and your favorite snacks. Of course, for all food-based days, don’t forget to enjoy your favorite dishes and indulge in homemade delicacies.
Whether you’re celebrating local heroes, paying respect to our planet, or simply indulging in cherished childhood snacks, there are plenty of national days to participate in each year. From International Women’s Day to National Chocolate Day, enjoy these celebrations of shared culture and take some time to relax and pay tribute to memorable people and moments in your country’s history.